Christian Fiction Review: Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill, Book 2) by Cara Lynn James

Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill, Book 2)
by Cara Lynn James
Copyright 2010
Thomas Nelson
336 pages
ISBN: 9781595546807
Fiction/Christian/Historical

From the publisher:
While Charlotte is focusing on uncovering sordid information on columnist Daniel Wilmot, her heart leads her into uncharted territory.

During the summer of 1900 Charlotte Hale, a native Newporter and secretary for the Rhode Island Reporter, accepts an undercover assignment as temporary governess to Daniel Wilmont's children in order to secretly gather evidence against him. As he helps her rediscover God, Charlotte learns that Daniel is an honorable man. They unexpectedly fall in love despite their different backgrounds and social positions. Charlotte soon realizes she must defend Daniel against the forces set against him—a willful student with a romantic crush and the newspaper editor determined to destroy his reputation.


My Review:
I'll admit to being intrigued by the lifestyles of the rich and famous especially those of the 19th century and the Gilded Age. This series, Ladies of Summerhill blends both the lower and upper classes and it's set in the resort town of Newport, Rhode Island. I'm pleased to say that this series is definitely a keeper! I liked the first book Love on a Dime but this one is sooo much better! I'm usually not thrilled by the second book in any series but not so with this one. I really like where Ms. James is going with the female writer angle. Lilly was a dime novel author, Charlotte is an aspiring newspaper columnist and I'm not sure what Melinda from Love by the Book (Book 3) will be like but I'm sure if she's anything like Charlotte it will be fun!

Charlotte is a young woman trying to care for her sister and elderly aunt so when the opportunity arises for her to make a name for herself in the prominently male environment at the newspaper where she works as a secretary she jumps at the chance. Little does she know that the "assignment" would lead her to love and a rediscovery of her faith. Daniel Wilmont, the prominent religious professor and columnist for a competing newspaper has no clue that Charlotte has a secret that could destroy them both.

It is all very romantic and has a great lesson about being truthful and doing what's right no matter what. All the time I was reading this I couldn't help but compare it to Jane Eyre one of my all-time favorite classics. The younger woman and the older wealthy gentleman, the wife from the past and the caring housekeeper were just a few elements that brought that familiar classic to mind. If you're a fan of romance and Christian fiction, Love on Assignment is a book to look for!

My Review of Love on a Dime

To learn more about the author visit:
Her WEBSITE
Group Blog: Seekerville

* I received my review copy from the publisher in exchange for posting my honest opinion and review of the book.*

Comments

  1. It reminded you of Jane? Niiice! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this book sooooooooooo badly!! I loved the first book! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this one too. It's on my wishlist. You know Charlotte is actually my daughter's real name. I love the classic names. And FYI love the new look for your blog. Sorry I haven't been around much. I have an excuse... it will be made public eventually... *wink*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Sound of Silver by Rachelle Rea Cobb Birthday Blog Tour + Giveaway!

Poldark Season Three Teaser Trailer!

TLC Book Tours: The Daredevil Snared by Stephanie Laurens (Review + Giftcard Giveaway!)