Once a Rebel (Rogues Redeemed, Book 2) by Mary Jo Putney ~ My Review



The Story:
A ROGUE REDEEMED 

As Washington burns, Callista Brooke is trapped in the battle between her native England and her adopted homeland. She is on the verge of losing everything, including her life, when a handsome Englishman cuts through the violent crowd to claim that she is his. Callie falls into her protector's arms, recognizing that he is no stranger, but the boy she'd once loved, a lifetime ago.

Lord George Gordon Audley had been Callie’s best friend, and it was to Gordon she turned in desperation to avoid a loathsome arranged marriage. But the repercussions of his gallant attempt to rescue her sent Callie packing to Jamaica, and Gordon on a one way trip to the penal colony of Australia.

Against all odds, Gordon survived. Finding Callie is like reclaiming his tarnished soul, and once again he vows to do whatever is necessary to protect her and those she loves. But the innocent friendship they shared as children has become a dangerous passion that may save or destroy them when they challenge the aristocratic society that exiled them both . . .



Connect with Mary Jo:



My Thoughts:
This book downloaded to my Kindle and I started reading it at once. Pining for an adventure, I was desperate for an escape as I often am when I pick up a romance novel. Thankfully, Mary Jo Putney delivered on the adventure. Even though Once a Rebel is published and marketed as a romance, I actually think it is a better adventure/historical than it is a love story.

I'll start at the beginning--the prologue was lovely and promised a lively and interesting path for Callie and Gordon. I liked both hero and heroine well enough, but the sparks just weren't there for this reader. Unfortunately Gordon was a bit pushy in his pursuit of Callie, so that put me off. Persistence is one thing, but ignoring the wishes of the other party in a relationship concerning intimacy and taking a relationship further is just wrong.

That said, I don't think I've read many historicals set in both England and in the United States. They all tend to be one or the other. The War of 1812 isn't usually the historical event these types of books feature. I actually really loved that! I wish more romances were this varied! I think Mary Jo Putney has a good thing going with this series and I'm really looking forward to the next story.  

~ My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poldark Season Three Teaser Trailer!

The Sound of Silver by Rachelle Rea Cobb Birthday Blog Tour + Giveaway!

Celebrate Lit Blog Tour: Healing of the Heart by Loree Lough