Dramatic WW2 Fiction ~ The Sea Before Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #1) by Sarah Sundin



From the publisher:
Nothing but love could heal the wounds of war 

In 1944, American naval officer Lt. Wyatt Paxton arrives in London to prepare for the Allied invasion of France. He works closely with Dorothy Fairfax, a "Wren" in the Women's Royal Naval Service, who pieces together reconnaissance photographs with holiday snapshots of France--including those of her family's summer home--in order to create accurate maps of Normandy. Maps that Wyatt turns into naval bombardment plans for D-day.

As the two spend concentrated time together in the pressure cooker of war, their deepening friendship threatens to turn into something more. But both of them have too much to lose to give in to love . . .





My Thoughts:
Frustrating is the first thing that came to my mind when I was thinking of descriptors for Dorothy Fairfax, the heroine of this book. I was frustrated with how she acted towards her new "beau" and most of all I was annoyed with her shallow treatment of Wyatt. That poor guy deserved so much better in my opinion. Urggghhh. There's nothing that pains me more than when the sweetest, nicest characters get ground under the boots of silly characters.

By that paragraph, you probably think I hate the book. But au contraire, friends. I actually really enjoyed The Sea Before Us and I'll tell you why. Wyatt was fantastic and the story takes place in the tension filled months prior to Normandy and focuses on the D-Day invasion. It is a nail biter!  I honestly can't think of anyone who writes in the Christian fiction genre who can make one feel the danger and force of battle more than Sarah Sundin. In each of her books, this one included, the battle scenes are breathtaking. 

The Paxton brothers are an intriguing bunch and I'm looking forward to reading their stories as this series continues. If you like family drama, this book certainly pulls no punches. Fans of WWII fiction--you'll love this book. As for the love story, I actually didn't love the romance. I couldn't forgive Dorothy for being a complete ninny when it came to her crush and for her ill treatment of Wyatt, but still...a wonderful story!

~ My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!


Comments

  1. So looking forward to this novel. As it's written by Sarah, I've no doubt, it'll be a spellbinding story set in her signature genre. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean