A Bound Heart by Laura Frantz



The Story:
(from the publisher)
Though Magnus MacLeish and Lark MacDougall grew up on the same castle grounds, Magnus is now laird of the great house and the Isle of Kerrera. Lark is just the keeper of his bees--and the woman who could provide an elixir to help his ailing wife conceive and bear him an heir. But when his wife dies suddenly, Magnus and Lark find themselves caught up in a whirlwind of accusations, expelled from their beloved island, and sold as indentured servants across the Atlantic. Can they make a new beginning in this New World? Or will their hopes be dashed against the rocky coastline of the Virginia colony?

Laura Frantz's prose sparkles with authenticity as she digs into her own family history to share this breathless tale of love, exile, and courage in colonial America.




My Thoughts:
Craving a trip to Scotland after having binge watched 20 episodes of Outlander in a matter of days, I knew A Bound Heart was the book I had to read! Usually Laura's books are set in the frontier or Colonies, but A Bound Heart is set in Scotland, Virgina, and Jamaica. What a perfect way to wile away the days between new episodes of my favorite tv show!

A Bound Heart is a bit different than the sweeping romantic epic that I've come to expect from Laura Frantz. While there is a sweet romance, the heart of this story is Lark. Lark coping with being uprooted from her simple life in Scotland to carving out a life on a Virginian estate along with the responsibilities of an orphaned child. That said, she is not the only character. There's quite a complex cast in this one. I really had a difficult time with the laird, Magnus! He was a totally braw Scotsman, don't get me wrong, but I was left wondering about Rory and Trevor too. To be completely honest, I was a little saddened by Rory and I would love to hear more about Trevor. And what happened to Nonesuch the collie???? I'm crying! Save all the dogs, please.

To segue, I adore the picture that Ms. Frantz paints in each of her books. This was no exception. As a reader, I immediately became immersed in the sights and sounds of Scotland to life aboard a ship. Laura Frantz gives a peek at the mid 18th century that is paralleled by a rare few in the genre. If you enjoy Christian fiction, Frantz is at the top of the game and always a must-read for historical fiction fans like myself. 

~ My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean