My Review: Her Best Friend, the Duke by Laura Martin



The Story: (from the publisher)
An excellent student…

In the art of flirtation

Caroline Yaxley has always been in love with her best friend, James Dunstable, Duke of Heydon. After years of waiting for him, she’s finally admitted defeat and decided to find a husband. James suggests she practice her nonexistent flirtation skills on him, which seems like a good idea—until she must pull away to avoid a shattered heart. Their pretend attraction has begun to feel alarmingly real!





My Thoughts:
The friends to lovers trope is second only to marriage of convenience stories for this reader, so naturally I just had to try the latest book from Laura Martin and Harlequin books. This book was the first time I've read from Harlequin in quite a while, but the quarantine has me reading absolutely everything fluffy and light-hearted that I can get my hands on. Since Harlequins are what Hallmark movies are to the TV world, I knew it would hit the spot.

Her Best Friend, the Duke was everything I had hoped for. The chemistry between Caroline and James was so sweet and completely believable. With some romances the relationships can seem a little forced, but this was just lovely. I'm a sucker for a cute animal too and I liked that Caroline's pupper played a key role in bringing Cara and James' love for each other to the forefront. That said, the book was a little anachronistic in places, but it wasn't extremely distracting. I enjoyed this short but sizzling romance and will be looking for more books from this author.

Recommended for a quarantine read! Word of warning: this is a general market book, so it's a little hotter than what I usually review on this blog.

~ My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean