My Review: Set the Stars Alight by Amanda Dykes


The Story: (from the publisher's website)
In an aged brick cottage in London, the magic of the past comes alive each night for the family of a humble watchmaker. In her father's fireside stories, Lucy Claremont's fascination with the high seas begins, leading her to devote her life's work to discovering the whereabouts of a legendary lost ship. But when tragedy strikes, it's childhood friend Dashel and his knowledge of the stars that may help her solve the puzzle.

Two hundred years earlier, three young lives are altered forever when a shepherd rescues the privileged son of a powerful admiral. As the children grow, war leads to unthinkable heartbreak, deep love, and a story of betrayal, sacrifice, and redemption that fades into obscurity as centuries pass.

As Lucy and Dash explore mysterious ruins on the East Sussex coast, their search leads them to a community of souls and a long-hidden tale that may hold the answers--and the healing--they so desperately seek.



My Thoughts:
If there is one thing I can say about this author after having read two of her books, it's that she's a storyteller. There's no doubt about it. This, as well as her previous book, are not just mysteries or romances but intricately woven, spell-binding yarns! I was hooked (HOOKED!) from the very first chapter. 

Set the Stars Alight is one of the best time jump books I've ever read and definitely the best in Christian fiction. I used to think that maybe I wasn't a fan of that style, but clearly I just wasn't reading the right authors' books. This book is romantic and I mean that in the classical sense. It's just a beautiful journey where past meets present and while it is Christian fiction, Dykes is never heavy handed or preachy. 

So many of the early reviews I've read focus on the contemporary story of Dash and Lucy, and while the Star Veteran and Matchstick Girl are pretty fabulous (and the main characters), I gravitated toward the story of the Jubilee, Frederick, Elias, and the shepherd's daughter. Who doesn't adore a mystery and an all sacrificing love? Oof. Definitely many gut punches in this book! I highly recommend this one to all Christian fiction readers!


~ My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean