My Review: The Sound of Falling Leaves by Lisa Carter


The Story (from the publisher's website):

After aspiring opera singer Tessa loses her voice in a fire, she needs both a place to heal and a way to keep music in her life. She retreats to her aunt's apple orchard in rural North Carolina to collect folk ballads. But amid the autumn splendor of this isolated Appalachian community, she uncovers an unnerving connection between a murder case and a long-ago disappearance. Tessa gets a glimpse into an almost-forgotten world, encounters a corrupt, small-town political dynasty, and finds superstition and prejudice at every turn. 

She's also drawn to Zeke, the handsome but enigmatic orchard caretaker, who shows her that mountain justice is neither impartial nor just. But battling a conspiracy of silence, Tessa isn't sure if she can trust him. Yet somewhere in the mists of the Blue Ridge Mountains, evil lurks, and a killer is determined to keep the past where it belongs--dead and buried.

The Sound of Falling Leaves


My Thoughts:

I rarely read suspense stories, as they just have gotten too predictable to consume more than one or two every few months. That said The Sound of Falling Leaves is one of the best Christian suspense books I've read in a long while. There was certainly a sense of danger and foreboding from the start that never really let up. We know who the bad guys are from the beginning but just how/why/when they committed their crimes kept me guessing. There is a lot of bloodshed in this book. I was really surprised with it being Christian fiction and all, but I think in spite of that the messages of hope and overcoming fear with God's help shines through at the end. 


I wouldn't say the romance in it is my favorite, as the hero and heroine seemed to go from loathing to insta-love father quickly, but it was definitely not the worst romance I've read. I think this works best going into this book looking for suspense rather than romance. Also, I think this is a story that will appeal to both the ladies and the gentleman. The author does a great job at developing both Tessa and Zeke and makes them both relatable. 


This is the first book I've read by Lisa Carter and I'm happy to add her next book, A Vast and Gracious Tide, set in the Outer Banks (my happy place!). In the meantime, I'll give this book a reread! Recommended!

~ My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean