My Review: A Dance in Donegal by Jennifer Deibel


The Story (from the publisher's website):

All her life, Boston-born Moira Doherty has relished her mother's descriptions of the Emerald Isle. When her mother dies unexpectedly in the summer of 1920, Moira is compelled to fulfill her dying wish--that she become the teacher in Ballymann, the beloved village in Donegal, Ireland, she's heard so much about. 

After an arduous voyage, Moira begins a challenging new job in an unfamiliar and ancient country. Though a few locals offer a warm welcome, others are distanced by superstition and suspicion. Rumors about Moira's mother are unspoken in her presence but threaten to derail everything she's journeyed to Ballymann to do. Moira must rely on the kindness of a handful of friends--and the strength of Sean, an unsettlingly handsome thatcher who keeps popping up unannounced--as she seeks to navigate a life she'd never dreamed of . . . but perhaps was meant to live. 




My Thoughts:

A Dance in Donegal is a refreshing change from what I'm used to reading in the Christian romance genre. While it has redemptive themes and chaste romance, this is set in Ireland in 1920. I loved journeying to the Emerald Isle. I could fairly see the thatched roof chalets and rocky shores and smell the turf fires of Ballymann. That said, while I adored the setting, the romance itself is a little lacking. I felt zero sparks between the heroine and hero. The love triangle just does not work, especially when the other guy is introduced more than halfway through the book. That subplot, I could have ignored and been a happier reader. It feels super forced and like it was thrown in to up the drama, which in my opinion, is not needed. As a debut novel, it is pretty good. I'm really intrigued by the teaser at the end for the next book. I think the romance might just spark joy in this reader! 

~ My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean