My Review: When the Meadow Blooms by Ann H. Gabhart


The story (from the publisher's website):

Hope blooms at Meadowland

If any place on God's earth was designed to help one heal, it is Meadowland. Surely here, at her brother-in-law's Kentucky farm, Rose and her daughters can recover from the events of the recent past--the loss of her husband during the 1918 influenza epidemic, her struggle with tuberculosis that required a stay at a sanatorium, and her girls' experience in an orphanage during her illness. At Meadowland, past troubles become rich soil in which faith can grow.

Dirk Meadows may have opened his home to his late brother's widow and her girls, but he keeps his heart tightly closed. The roots of his pain run deep, and the evidence of it is written across his face. Badly scarred by a fire and abandoned by the woman he loved, Dirk fiercely guards his heart from being hurt again.

But it may be that his visitors will bring light back into his world and unlock the secret to true healing.



Order today from:

Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Revell Publishers

and other great bookstores!

Visit Ann's website for more fabulous book info.

My thoughts:

When the Meadow Blooms is the first book I've read in months. Coming from someone used to reading at least two books a week, it was time I got back into my book reading routine. What better place to start than with a Beauty and the Beast themed book? I am an absolute SUCKER for this trope, and even though this one disappointed me a bit as far as the main romance, other parts of the story made up for it.  

The relationship between Dirk and Rose didn't seem very developed. I think the secondary story between Calla and Lincoln was much more compelling! These two had more meaningful conversations and their relationship evolved so naturally. These teens knew better than to declare their undying love after only a few months! I actually found myself wanting a sequel for more from them! 

That said, I really enjoyed that this was set in the 1920s. The Christian historicals I've read tend to avoid this period and the setting for that matter, so it was a nice change of pace. I love me some roaring twenties, but there wasn't a flapper in sight, just the countryside, crows, and a bit of mystery.  This author never disappoints with the unique settings!

~ My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean