To Capture Her Heart by Rebecca DeMarino ~ My Review

To Capture Her Heart
(The Southold Chronicles, Book 2)
by Rebecca DeMarino
Copyright 2015
Revell Publishers
ISBN: 9780800722197
The Story:
In an uncertain time, she faces a choice that will change her life forever

It is 1653 and Heather Flower, a princess of the Montaukett tribe, is celebrating her wedding feast when a rival tribe attacks, killing the groom and kidnapping her. Though her ransom is paid by an Englishman, she is bound by her captors and left to die--until she finds herself rescued by handsome Dutch Lieutenant Dirk Van Buren.

Still tender from her loss, Heather Flower begins to heal in the home of the Hortons, English friends of her people. Torn between her affection for Dirk and her longtime friendship with Ben Horton, Heather Flower must make a difficult choice--stay true to her friend or follow her heart.

Exploring a unique slice of history, Rebecca DeMarino transports you to the wild land that would eventually become Long Island, New York.

To learn more about the book and where to purchase it, visit the Revell website.


My Thoughts:
I read so many books by so many different authors each year, that I sometimes forget whose books I've read and didn't enjoy. Last year I read the first book in The Southold Chronicles series, and unfortunately, it was a story that didn't connect with me. To Capture Her Heart promised to be an an interesting tale of the earliest years of settlers and natives in what would become the United States.

I'm happy to say, as a historical novel, To Capture Her Heart is better than the first novel, but sadly the romantic aspect falls completely flat. The love triangle in romance works for me, but only if the hero that the protagonist eventually chooses isn't the one we know nothing about, who rarely meets with the heroine. I felt as if we are presented with Heather Flower/Ben/Dirk story in such a way that we are meant to connect with one of the men and root for him and like him for 90% of the story, but then suddenly, in the last few pages, the other swoops in and the story takes a completely different turn. It was SO frustrating!

If you like historical fiction, this is an interesting book. I love that it's set in the 1600s, not a period that you see in Christian fiction. It was pretty fascinating to travel back in time to New Amsterdam. That said, I'll probably not opt to read the next book in the series, because the romance is bland. I can honestly say if Ms. DeMarino wrote strictly historical fiction without the romance, I'd be a player!


~ My Rating: 2 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean