My Review ~ Undaunted Hope by Jody Hedlund

Undaunted Hope
by Jody Hedlund
Copyright 2016
Bethany House Publishers
ISBN: 9780764212390
The Story: 
Tessa Taylor arrives in 1870s Upper Peninsula, Michigan, planning to serve as a new teacher to the town. Much to her dismay, however, she immediately learns that there was a mistake, that the town had requested a male teacher. Percival Updegraff, superintendent and chief mine clerk, says she can stay through winter since they won't be able to locate a new teacher before then, and Tessa can't help but say she is in his debt. Little does she know that Percival will indeed keep track of all that she owes him.

Determined to become indispensable, Tessa throws herself into teaching, and soon the children of the widowed lighthouse keeper have decided she's the right match for their grieving father. Their uncle and assistant light keeper, Alex Bjorklund, has his own feelings for Tessa. As the two brothers begin competing for her hand, Tessa increasingly feels that someone is tracking her every move, and she may not be able to escape the trap that has been laid for her.

Learn more about Jody and her books on her website!

My Thoughts:
First off I'll start by saying Jody Hedlund's books have always been some of my favorites. I tend to add her books to my wishlists without even reading the cover blurbs. I just KNOW they will be that good. Her adult historical fiction books take up a large space on my rather small keeper shelf, so having to write this review is painful. Simply put, I did not care for this book.



Tessa Taylor comes off as snobbish and judgy and waaaaaay too easily distracted by a pretty face. I kept thinking to myself, "Pot meet kettle" from what I knew of her from the previous novel. The two brothers, Alex and Michael, fighting over a woman at every turn was very juvenile. Maybe I'm getting a little too old for these types of shenanigans, but with all of that, I didn't really cheer on any of the main characters.

I love the setting for this series. The lighthouses and duties of the keepers are fascinating. While this book doesn't revolve around the lighthouses as much as the previous two, it is still interesting. Mining and the dangers that go along with it are something that were a part of the way of life here in this part of the world and not something I often read about in romance! Mining in The US is definitely something I would like to read more of! While the characters weren't my favorite, the research Jody Hedlund does shines through. I'm anxious to read the next book in the series because Victoria already seems like a likeable character!


~My Rating: 2 out of 5 stars~

* I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!


Comments

  1. Renee, your honesty is appreciated. Not every book will be a "hit", even when it's written by a favorite author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean