Movies Based on Books (Part 2): My Review of Forever My Girl (2018)



Forever My Girl (2018)
Visit the Forever My Girl website to learn more and find showtimes.

Even though I'm a totally sappy, fuzz bucket when it comes to romance novels, I don't really like the contemporary offerings in the romance film genre, mostly because the only options are cheesy Hallmark movies. Silver screen offerings are all depressing Nicholas Sparks, big budget movies with megawatt casts, with little to no chemistry. I'm a sucker for the rare historical, mostly I think, because the romantic aspects are a little more plausible than say, meeting someone in an elevator and falling in love in the space of a week.  It's kinda rare for me to want to rave and cheer about anything contemporary romance if I'm completely honest. Alert: Major rave straight ahead!

I really enjoyed Forever My Girl a lot more than I thought I would. It started out with just about every romance cliche I dread in a movie- an abandoned lover, a secret child, you name it buuuuut, it totally got better. From the trailer I honestly thought Forever My Girl was gonna be about Liam abandoning a very successful career to move back to his hometown to be with his girl forever and they would live happily ever after on love alone. Thankfully, that's where this movie strayed from films I've seen on cable. Never fear, there's still a happy ending! The chemistry between the leads was just right. Alex Roe was a convincing country superstar if I do say so myself. The original songs were actually good and I don't even like modern country music! However, the real scene-stealer in this movie was Billy, Josie's seven year-old daughter. Her speech on the safety of convertibles was the cutest.

By the end of the film, I had laughed and I even started to tear up a little. The duet at the end of the movie was just so darn sweet. Honestly, the only word I can think of for this film is cute, cute, cute! It's not a perfect movie, but just the romantic escape I needed after a rather stress-filled week.

~ My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars ~

Here's the trailer again in case you missed it yesterday!




Go see this, you guys. It was so cute and fairly clean so you can take your pre-teen kids to go see it with you if you like! This movie is rated PG for thematic elements including drinking and for language.



Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean