My Review: Stay a Little Longer by Dorothy Garlock

Stay a Little Longer
by Dorothy Garlock
Copyright 2010
Grand Central Publishing
372 pages
ISBN: 978-0-446-54020-9
Historical Fiction

From the publisher:
Louise Watkins has her hands full. Her mother had been the town midwife, but after her daughter Alice died under her care, she refused to assist in a childbirth ever again. Since then Louise has assumed the work. She also takes care of Alice's six-year old, Charlotte, because the child's father was lost in World War I. But Louise's principal job is running the boardinghouse that is the family's main source of income. One day, Charlotte befriends a stranger ill with influenza, a man who has taken refuge in an old cabin in the woods nearby.

My review:
I don't read a whole lot of general market romance just because I don't need all of the strong language and sex. However I have found a few authors that I enjoy whose books are not rife with what I deem to be objectionable content, Dorothy Garlock is one of those authors. While her books do contain some language and maybe a love scene or two they are relatively tame compared to other books on the market. Stay a Little Longer is no exception. While I didn't find it to be focused on the romance as much as characters letting go of their pasts it still was a sweet story with somewhat of a beauty and the beast theme. There aren't a whole lot of sparks or passion, it's just a sweet, gentle romance that develops over time, not right away. If you like drama this book certainly has that too along with a few "bad guys." If you're looking for a spring read I would check this one out at the library or buy the trade paperback, I'm not sure I would shell out the $24.99 for the hardcover. Overall I liked the book and would read Ms. Garlock's future releases!

My review of The Moon Looked Down (2009) by Dorothy Garlock

To learn more about Dorothy Garlock visit:
Her WEBSITE

*I received my free review copy from Anna Balasi @ Hachette Book Group.*

Comments

  1. Great review, Renee! I just received this book this week, too. I'm glad to hear that its good. I like a beauty and the beast theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover! I see her books everywhere, but have never taken the time to read one. Maybe I'll get around to giving her a try eventually. ;)

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, Renee!

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like relationships that get stronger over time. Isn't that the way it happens in real life? We may feel attraction right away - but the real feelings that hold a relationship together take time to build.

    Great review! I have an award for you in the newest post on my blog. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Happy 50th, Doctor Who (Giveaway Post!!)