Romance Review: How Sweet It Is by Sophie Gunn

How Sweet It Is
by Sophie Gunn
Copyright 2011
Forever
416 pages
ISBN: 9780446561990
Contemporary Romance

From Goodreads:
Single mom Lizzie Bea Carpenter learned long ago that no white knight was coming to save her. A hardworking waitress at the local diner, she's raising her daughter to be like the independent women in her "Enemy Club"—high school rivals turned best friends, promising to always tell each other the whole truth and nothing but!

Yet part of Lizzie wishes she did have a man's help, just for small stuff, like fixing up the house. Her fairy godmother must have been listening, because Dante "Tay" Giovanni soon appears. He's sexy, kind, and offering assistance—no strings attached.

Slowly, steadily, Lizzie's heart opens. But the grip of the past is fierce, and nothing in life is ever really free. Tay has his own tragedies to overcome, but if he can, he'll fix more than Lizzie's home. He'll show her just how sweet it is to be loved by him.


My Review:
Throw together a waitress and single mom with an Italian handyman and a few cute critters and you have How Sweet It Is! If you're a fan of light-hearted romances you might enjoy this story. I had a bit of a hard time getting into it at first. I don't mind occasional mild language but didn't appreciate the use of the "f" word towards the beginning of the story. It was kind of an immediate turn off. I was a bit confused by the secondary storyline and why Tay forced money on someone who didn't want it especially since it was all he had left but overall it was a nice romance. However, as I continued I started to like it especially when I realized just how long it has been since I've read a book with an Italian hero like Tay! Really is there anyone out there who doesn't like tall, dark, and handsome? The last quarter of the book was my favorite part. While I didn't really feel the love between Tay and Lizzie, the end of the story took a more serious turn and made their relationship seem more realistic and seemed to cement their bond. Overall I liked the book and will check out the next in the series to see what happens with the "Enemy Club" gals. :-)

Judging by the excerpt and the absolutely adorable cover Sweet Kiss of Summer! looks like a winner. *fingers crossed*

Content note: Some strong language, mild love scenes. Older readers only.


To learn more about Sophie and her books visit:
Her WEBSITE
Her BLOG
Twitter
Facebook

*I received my review copy from the publisher in exchange for posting my thoughts on the book.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean