Faith 'n Fiction Saturday

My Friend Amy asks this question:

How do you feel about speculative fiction in general and specifically how do you feel about Christian speculative fiction? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages that you see to Christian speculative fiction?

My Response:

I know a lot of people who read Christian fiction simply because it doesn't contain pervasive language or explicit sexual content, and not necessarily for the spiritual message . I have to admit it's one of the reasons why I started reading it. I think if an author can include a faith message in a romance or mystery, why not in a sci-fi book? Let's face it, a lot of the Christian fiction on the market are romances...how many guys do you know that want to read that??!! So a Christian sci-fi or speculative fiction book (which I think tends to lean more towards men) may be some of the only good stories out there for the men to read.

Also I read a lot of vampire fiction so I agree with Amy that if you would introduce Jesus in there the vampires would always have to be evil and it would be kinda weird. I'm interested to see what Christian author, Tracey Bateman does with this in her book, Thirsty (see what I have to say here) which is to be released later this year.

To see what Amy has to say about speculative fiction visit her blog!!

Comments

  1. Enjoyed your comments ande thoughts on this very much. I have my response up on Free Spirit too. :)

    The Old Silly From Free Spirit Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts and thanks for participating! And I didn't know Bateman was writing a vampire book...high hopes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know...since I love all of Tracey's books I'm hoping this will turn out to be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great thoughts...I do concur especially about most Christian books seeming to be romances... although I think the tide is changing (I hope) I think men would love to have more Christian fiction geared toward them...I have a guy friend that mentions that sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I think most of the Christian books I see are geared towards women...I feel bad for the guys who want something good to read! Don't get me wrong though, some of the women's books are interesting enough for some of the brave guys to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean