Book Review: MARRIED IN BLACK by Christina Cordaire

Every so often a book comes along that I just can't wait to read. More often than not however, the book disappoints. I don't know if it's because my expectations are so high or it's the fact that after I'm finished there's nothing to look forward to until another pretty cover photo or interesting cover blurb catches my eye. The book I received today and read all the way through in one sitting was an exception.

Married In Black by Christina Cordaire, released exclusively through the Crossings Book Club in the Fall of 2008 is the story of Civil War widow, Virginia Davenport and Texas rancher, David Norris. Looking for a new start away from Boston society and a domineering mother, Virginia answers an advertisement for a mail-order bride placed by wealthy rancher, David who's looking for a genteel lady to make his home complete. Believing that David is a Christian she readily accepts his proposal of marriage and the two are married in Boston soon after he arrives. However on the trip home Virginia sees a different side of David that leads her to believe that he's not a Christian. The problems with being on a ranch, including being separated from her husband, and assaults by ruthless enemies make matters worse.

I really did enjoy this book as it's been a while since I've read a Civil War novel...or at least a book based very close to that time period. I love the main characters. Virginia, even though she grew up in wealth and affluence isn't a snob and David is the caring, ruggedly handsome rancher. I like that he doesn't coddle his wife like most heroes we see in a lot of historical romances today. There is also a strong spiritual message in this book with a devout heroine and the redemption of many of the characters by the end of the story.


The beef (no pun intended) that I have with this book is the development of the secondary characters. David's estranged father is introduced towards the end of the book with really no mention of him at all earlier and the reason for the strained relationship between David and himself. I think David's father plays such an important role in David's lack of faith that I wish I knew more about him.

If you're looking for a romance that's a quick, easy to follow read this might be one to pick up. I don't know about you, but I just haven't been seeing a lot of inspirational trade paper Civil War novels lately. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

If you're a member of Crossings bookclub you can purchase the book from there or purchase it for a few dollars from Amazon or other online sites!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean