Book Review: Yesterday's Embers by Deborah Raney

Yesterday's Embers (copyright 2009) by Deborah Raney

Yesterday's Embers is one of the best contemporary fiction books I've read in a long time. I mostly stick with historical fiction but if I hear good reviews or recommendations for contemporary authors I'll give them a try. However, I hadn't really heard of Deborah Raney so I pretty much picked this book up on a whim. I saw the cover, read an excerpt and put it on my wish list on Bookmooch (thank you Ruth) and a few days later it came in the mail. I was not disappointed when I finished this book and I don't think you will be either.

Yesterday's Embers is the story of single, 30 year old, daycare teacher Mickey Valdez and recently widowed father of five children, Douglas DeVore. One Thanksgiving Day changed the life of Doug and his family in ways they never thought possible, with the sudden loss of his wife and daughter, Rachel. The hasty decisions made afterwards have lasting effects on Doug, Mickey and their family.

This book is so full of loss but also life and the struggle to continue amidst grief and love lost. Also addressed are the consequences of making important life decisions about relationships without consulting God first and also what happens when you listen to what He has to say. I was hooked from the first pages. I really felt for Doug's young teenage daughter, Kayeleigh. I could only imagine what it must be like to deal with the difficulties of being a teen AND losing a mother when you need her most. Ms. Raney really captured the emotion and struggle well, making me want to cry right along with her. I wish there were a few more details about Doug's changing feelings towards Mickey at the end of the book but other than that I really enjoyed this book, which is something for me because contemporary fiction is often difficult for me to get through. If you want a light, fun read you might want to save this book for a later date...but definitely make sure you read it...'cause it's good :-)

For more information on Deborah Raney and her other books and where to purchase them go to:
http://www.deborahraney.com/
http://www.simonandschuster.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean