Litfuse Publicity Group: The Captain's Daughter by Jennifer Delamere



The Story:
The Captain’s Daughter (Bethany House, June 2017)

Warm-hearted Victorian romance brings 1880s London to life.

When a series of circumstances beyond her control leave Rosalyn Bernay alone and penniless in London, she chances upon a job backstage at a theater that is presenting the most popular show in London. A talented musician and singer, she feels immediately at home and soon becomes enthralled with the idea of pursuing a career on the stage.

A hand injury during a skirmish in India has forced Nate Moran out of the army until he recovers. Filling his time at a stable of horses for hire in London, he has also spent the past two months working nights as a stagehand, filling in for his injured brother. Although he’s glad he can help his family through a tough time, he is counting the days until he can rejoin his regiment. London holds bitter memories for him that he is anxious to escape. But then he meets the beautiful woman who has found a new lease on life in the very place Nate can’t wait to leave behind.

Read what others are saying about the book!

Learn more about the book!

My Thoughts:
After having read a fabulous historical fiction featuring the theaters of Victorian London earlier this year, I have been yearning for another story set on the stage. Jennifer Delamere has been on my radar since reading a book in her Love's Grace series a few years ago. Thankfully, Bethany House and Ms. Delamere read my mind and delivered a sweet historical as well as The Pirates of Penzance! Okay. There aren't really any pirates in The Captain's Daughter, but the hustle and bustle of the behind-the-scenes of musical theater and the joy of a flawless performance gave this reader a thrill! Trust me. I was in drama club in high school, I know what I'm about. Ha! ;-)

The Captain's Daughter is a interesting story, even if the romance is a bit dull. Nate and Rosalyn don't have the most sparkling chemistry, and I thought that Nate was a little too controlling of Rosalyn right from their first meeting. She seemed to not make any decision about her life without thinking of what Nate would do or say. I'm the type of reader who likes a little bit more independence and sass in her heroines. It's not a bad story by any means, but as a romance, it's not my favorite!

Hopefully Rosalyn's story continues in book two. I'm so curious to see how Julia's story plays out. The few scenes where she is present, are so fun! One can never read too many stories of the bonds of sisterhood! Jennifer Delamere pens a story that is well-researched and as smooth as a theater production. The Heart's Appeal (London Beginnings, Book 2) can't come soon enough for this reader!

~ My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean