Regency Brides, A Legacy of Grace Series, Book 2: The Captivating Lady Charlotte by Carolyn Miller



The Story:
Her heart is her own―but her hand in marriage is another matter Lady Charlotte Featherington is destined for great things on the marriage market. After all, as the beautiful daughter of a marquess, she should have her pick of the eligible nobility when she debuts. She, however, has love at the top of her list of marriageable attributes. And her romantic heart falls hard for one particularly dashing, attentive suitor. Sadly for Charlotte, her noble father intends her betrothed to be someone far more dull.

William Hartwell may be a duke, but he knows he was Charlotte's father's pick, not the young lady's own choice. And the captivating Lady Charlotte does not strike him as a woman who will be wooed by his wealth or title. While she has captured his heart, he has no idea how to win hers in return--and the betrayal and scandal his first wife put him through makes it difficult for him to believe that love can ever be trusted. His only hope is that Charlotte's sense of responsibility will win out over her romantic notions.

Can a widowed duke and a romantically inclined lady negotiate a future and discover love beyond duty? Will they be able to find healing and hope from the legacy of grace? Poignant and charming, this is another beautifully written, clean and wholesome Regency romance from Carolyn Miller.





My Thoughts:
I'm pretty much obsessed with Regency romances of all kinds. I like Georgette Heyer, I adore Julia Quinn, and I collect Julie Klassen's books. I've read a lot in the genre! A few months ago, I had the chance to read a new author in the Regency genre, Carolyn Miller. The Elusive Miss Ellison was a solid start to this series and I'm happy to say The Captivating Lady Charlotte is continuing in that vein. I'll start by saying these books are really faith centered, so if you don't like religious-based fiction, you probably won't enjoy these. That said, if you're familiar with the genre and love romance, you'll want to give these a look.

This story is different than the first book. Lady Charlotte Featherington is rather flighty and naive. As a character, I admit, there are many other heroines I have liked better. She's more of a Kitty Bennet than a Lizzie Bennet. Charlotte is just a little too swayed by her mother and doesn't seem to know her own mind. One minute she's in love, the next minute she's pining over another, and then she's engaged! Thankfully, William, Duke of Hartington, is just enough like a staid Mr. Darcy or even a brooding Rochester type to hold my interest.

The Captivating Lady Charlotte unfolds at quite the awkward pace. It's a bit here and there, buttttt it works well with Charlotte's personality if that makes sense! I admit to not seeing that plot twist at the end coming, which is rare for this reader. When all is said and done I liked the mix of romance, mystery, and faith. Sparks and fire are great, but the message of deep and abiding love is one that this reader can appreciate!

~ My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean