TLC Book Tours: One Day in December by Josie Silver



The Story: (from the publisher's website)
Two people. Ten chances. One unforgettable love story.

Laurie is pretty sure love at first sight doesn’t exist anywhere but the movies. But then, through a misted-up bus window one snowy December day, she sees a man who she knows instantly is the one. Their eyes meet, there’s a moment of pure magic…and then her bus drives away.

Certain they’re fated to find each other again, Laurie spends a year scanning every bus stop and cafe in London for him. But she doesn’t find him, not when it matters anyway. Instead they “reunite” at a Christmas party, when her best friend Sarah giddily introduces her new boyfriend to Laurie. It’s Jack, the man from the bus. It would be.

What follows for Laurie, Sarah and Jack is ten years of friendship, heartbreak, missed opportunities, roads not taken, and destinies reconsidered. One Day in December is a joyous, heartwarming and immensely moving love story to escape into and a reminder that fate takes inexplicable turns along the route to happiness.




My Thoughts:
I love the trend of brightly illustrated covers in contemporary romance, so naturally I gravitated towards this book by debut novelist Josie Silver. Set in London, One Day in December is labeled as women's fiction, but it is truly a romance at heart. The cliched bus stop meeting of the eyes thing that I feel like I've seen ten times over in film and TV, but nevertheless gets me every single time is the basis for Laurie, Sarah, and Jack's ten year long saga. I feel certain that this could be a Lifetime Christmas movie and if that ever happens, I will be the first to set my DVR.

That said, this isn't quite the 5 star read due to some of the actions of two of the characters. Without spoiling it, cheating is not something that I want to see my protagonists doing and I especially did NOT appreciate how it really hurt a very likeable character. Yes, a kiss is cheating in my book. I can't share specifics for fear of spoiling the story.

However, One Day in December is an exceptional debut. The details like modern pop culture references and beautiful beach scenes were just a few reasons why I couldn't stop reading this book. I am looking forward to reading another London-set romance from the pen of Josie Silver!




 ~ My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!




Comments

  1. I've been seeing this cover around on Twitter and the like. I'm pretty sure it's one I'll HAVE to snag and try to read over the Christmas season. It sounds and looks like such fun. :) Thanks for sharing, Renee.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean