My Review: Tidewater Bride by Laura Frantz



The Story (from the publisher):

They're both too busy for love . . . but love is not too busy for them 

Selah Hopewell seems to be the only woman in Virginia Colony who has no wish to wed. True, there are too many men and far too few women in James Towne. But Selah already has her hands full assisting her father in the family's shop. And now she is in charge of an incoming ship of tobacco brides who must be looked after as they sort through their many suitors. 

Xander Renick is perhaps the most eligible tobacco lord in the settlement. His lands are vast, his crops are prized, and his position as a mediator between the colonists and the powerful Powhatan nation surrounding them makes him indispensable. But Xander is already wedded to his business and still grieves the loss of his wife. 

Can two fiercely independent people find happiness and fulfillment on their own? Or will they discover that what they've been missing in life has been right in front of them all along? 



My Thoughts:

If you're in search of a historical saga, look no further than Laura Frantz. Her's are the best in the Christian fiction genre. Tidewater Bride is no exception. While it is actually labeled a historical romance, I think this falls more onto the historical fiction side of things. Selah and Xander's relationship moves so gradually, I feel that it isn't the focus of the story until the last 1/4 or so of the book. This is by no means a criticism of the story, I just think if you're a fan of historical fiction and not romance, you'll still enjoy this book. 

I marvel that this author can jump from century to century in book to book and do it so well. I feel like she works on these stories for decades rather than publishing one a year. Tidewater Bride is set in 1630s Jamestowne, Virginia, and is based loosely on real historical figures. The time period was fraught with danger and uncertainty for the English, the Native Americans, and the indentured servants and slaves and she deftly portrays that in the pages of this book

Tidewater Bride is a must read for Laura's fans. I was so happy to finally read a historical fiction in the Christian romance genre that isn't a Regency or colonial book. Don't get me wrong, Regency is actually my very favorite genre to read, but even this reader likes the opportunity to switch it up every so often! I love that I can count on Laura for entertaining and thought provoking stories.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars! ~

*I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.*

Happy Reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

Blogaversary Celebration Day One: Author, Janet Dean