My Review: A Distant Melody (Wings of Glory, Book 1) by Sarah Sundin

A Distant Melody (Wings of Glory, Book 1)
by Sarah Sundin
Copyright 2010
Revell Publishers
432 pages
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3421-3
Historical Fiction/Romance

From the publisher:
Will a chance meeting in a time of war change her life forever?

Never pretty enough to please her gorgeous mother, Allie will do anything to gain her approval--even marry a man she doesn't love. While Allie has nearly resigned herself to that fate, Lt. Walter Novak--fearless in the cockpit but hopeless with women--takes his last furlough at home in California before being shipped overseas.

Walt and Allie meet and begin a correspondence that will change their lives. As letters fly between Walt's muddy bomber base in England and Allie's mansion in an orange grove, their friendship binds them together. But can they untangle the secrets, commitments, and expectations that keep them apart?

Book 1 in the Wings of Glory series, A Distant Melody is an exciting and tender story of love, courage, and sacrifice during World War II.

My Review:
As a reader of historical fiction, I've been a little disappointed in the lack of quality WWII romances. However I'm happy to report, debut novelist, Sarah Sundin is definitely one of the author's kicking off what appears to be a great year for WWII fiction.

I really love A Distant Melody and one of the main reasons are the characters. Neither of the main characters are movie star beautiful or glamorous, but I think they represent the "everyday heroes" of WWII on the home front and the battlefield. I absolutely love how the romance develops over a year of letter writing. Letter writing is such a lost art anymore it's nice to be reminded that once upon a time it was pretty much the only way to communicate.

Throughout the book I couldn't help but cheer Walt and Allie along, Allie standing up for herself and Walt standing up for his crew and against the enemy. A Distant Melody is an excellent book and I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on Ms. Sundin's next release, A Memory Between Us, featuring Walt's brother, Jack Novak! Sarah Sundin is DEFINITELY a new favorite author!

Available March 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell,
a division of Baker Publishing Group

To learn more about Sarah and her books visit:

Her WEBSITE
Her BLOG
FACEBOOK

*I received my free review copy from Donna @ Revell Publishers.*

Comments

  1. Oooh! Besides the movie "Pearl Harbour", I haven't seen (or read, in this case) much on WWII. I can't wait to read this now! Thanks so much for another great review, Renee!
    Love Ya,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely review, Renee! I'm so glad you liked the book - must be my Greensburg PA blood :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book, and you know I'm not a big fan of "war" themed romances. :)

    Another awesome review!

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard a lot about this book and I have been really looking forward to seeing whats behind its cover. Thanks for the review, it was the final push to add this title to my "must read" list.

    S

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Happy 50th, Doctor Who (Giveaway Post!!)