My Review: The Promise of Morning (At Home in Beldon Grove, Book 2) by Ann Shorey

The Promise of Morning (At Home in Beldon Grove, Book 2)
by Ann Shorey
Copyright 2010
Revell Publishers
336 pages
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3333-9
Historical Fiction

From the publisher:
Life in Beldon Grove on the Illinois frontier in the 1840s isn't easy. For Ellie Craig, the graves of her three infant children make it unbearably lonely, despite the love of her husband Matthew. When she uncovers a family secret that suggests she may not be as alone as she thought, Ellie is determined to find the truth.

Meanwhile, Matthew Craig faces controversy in the church he pastors when a man arrives in town claiming to be both a minister and the son of the town's founder. Will Matthew find the courage to reclaim his church? Or will he return to itinerant preaching, leaving Ellie even more alone than before?

Book 2 in the At Home in Beldon Grove series, The Promise of Morning will touch your soul with themes of overcoming tragedy, finding strength to meet daunting challenges, and trusting your heart to love again.


My Review:
I have really enjoyed the Spring fiction releases from Revell this year, while The Promise of Morning by Ann Shorey was not my favorite, I can still say that I liked it. For me it was a little too depressing and it seemed like everything was "happening" in the first few chapters of the book but thankfully it all wrapped up nicely in the end! As far as the characters in this story go they are far from perfect which definitely makes them easy to relate to, even Matthew, Ellie's preacher husband is "real." I could really see how easy it would have been to become discouraged despite his faith.

I can safely say that this is a better book than The Edge of Light (my review HERE), the first book in the series. Ms. Shorey is improving with each book so I look forward to reading Luellen's story in To Number the Stars, the conclusion to this series.

“Available March 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

To learn more about Ann Shorey and her books visit:
Her WEBSITE

*I received my free review copy from Donna @ Revell Publishers.*

Comments

  1. I guess you made it home safely? We missed you! :)

    I've already read two reviews for this book today, and both stated that The Edge of Light was not very good. I think I'll skip it and just read The Promise of Morning (for review).

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. ;)

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I made it home safely! I didn't get back till late in the evening but I picked this book up and got started right away it was good and definitely better than the first!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Renee!!!! How did you write this review so quickly?!?!? It like take me a month too write one, and their half as good as your:)I guess I'll have to work it.LOL;)
    So, how were the twins?? We'er so glad your back, girly!;)

    I have to agree with with you guys on The Edge of Light. I wasn't in but, 4-5 pages and it was so depressing I couldn't read anymore. I'm glad that The Promise of Morning, is a little better;)
    Missed ya, Renee!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee your back we missed you!:) I just got this book the other day, but haven't had the chance to read it yet I haven't read her first one though.
    Does this book continue from the first?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley! Yes the twins are so cute! They don't have hair yet so I'm curious to see what color it will be so I'll probably taking another trip in the upcoming months to see them with hair LOL!

    Hi Lindsey! You can read this book without reading the first but one of the characters that is featured throughout the book is the main character of the first one so if you wanna learn more about her you might want to read it.

    Thank you all for being patient with me as I was supposed to post my review last night but didn't get to finish the book till this afternoon!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, Renee! Sorry this one wasn't the best :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Renee, Thank you for reviewing The Promise of Morning. I appreciate your thoughtful comments.
    Blessings,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Happy 50th, Doctor Who (Giveaway Post!!)