My Review: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Game series, Book 1) by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games series, Book 1)
by Suzanne Collins
Copyright 2008
Scholastic Press
374 pages
ISBN: 978-0-439-02348-1
Young Adult/Sci-Fi

From the publisher:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival.

My Review:
I'll admit I had no clue what this series was going to be like but I've seen it featured on a lot of blogs and best seller lists so I figured I would give it a try. I was not disappointed in the least. Simply put, The Hunger Games is definitely one of the best Young Adult fiction books I've ever read and from what I've read of the sequel, Catching Fire, it's on track to being one of my favorite series' period!

If you're looking for a Sci-Fi book with a strong heroine, a ton of action, and a little romance this is definitely a book you will want to read. In Katniss's world, children must face each other in the Hunger games which are similar to what the ancient Roman gladiators participated in, a fight to the death in which only one person can survive. The events in this story are seemingly barbaric for a world with so much technology and yet magnificent at the same time. It grabs you from the first page and doesn't let you go and the ending is a total surprise. I devoured this book in one day and definitely can't wait to see what happens next to Katniss and the citizens of Panem!

Note: Book contains some violence.

To learn more about Suzanne Collins and her books visit:
Her WEBSITE

*I received my copy of The Hunger Games from bookswap site, Bookmooch.*

Comments

  1. I've read so many good things about this book and its sequel. I'm glad that you also thought it was great. My daughter read and loved both of them. I hope to read them, too, sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of good things about this series so when I saw you were reading this I was interested to hear what you thought and now I really want to read it! lol Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book - it's one of a few that I've read and then been so affected by it that I couldn't stop thinking about it for a couple of days. I am really looking forward to book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the first two in this series and can't wait to read the last one...I think I'll post it for my "Waiting on" Wednesday ;)
    Inspired by Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review ~ sounds like a neat series. I like your new look too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't wrap my head around just how popular YA is right now! Especially with sooo many other great choices out there. Y'all might just convert me yet...who knows?!?! :p

    Another intriguing review, Renee! Thank you for posting your "note" at the end...now I know to stay away from this one. *cringe*

    {{hugs}}

    BTW, I've been meaning to tell you that I like you new decor, too! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suko, Angie, Megan and Lee! I really think that you will love this series if you give it a try, it's DEFINITELY not the "fluffy" YA fiction...it really makes you think!

    @Katie- I just finished Book 2, Catching Fire last night and it was soooo good! I think you will like it as much as Hunger Games...at least I hope so ;-)

    @ Lori- LOL girl you definitely should give YA a try! Something like The Luxe series maybe by Anna Godbersen *wink wink*

    Thank you everyone for visiting today and commenting on my review and my new blog decor!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, Renee! I love a strong heroine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL Carrie, then you should give this series a try!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep I definately need to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha, you've definitely convinced me too - I've never heard of this, but I haven't really been paying much attention to best seller lists lately. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments, keep 'em coming!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Birthday Party, Day Two: Author Julie Lessman

November Giveaway Hop: Young Adult ARC Pack (US Giveaway)

Happy 50th, Doctor Who (Giveaway Post!!)